Have you ever wondered about what community workers wore in the past or the equipment they used long ago? If you have, then this is a wonderful way for you to compare community workers from the past to the present. You will analyze photographs from the past of a firemen, nurse, and police officer and then compare them to recent photographs of these same three community workers. At the end, you will be able to explain which of three community workers you would like to be and why.
You will be able to:
1. Compare and contrast through a chart
2. Explain the role of community workers verbally
3. Describe the similarities between current community workers and community workers from the past
4. Describe the differences between current community workers and community workers from the past
While discussing community workers and looking at the photographs you may ask yourself the following questions:
1. Are these pictures from the past or present? Why?
2. What community worker is in this photograph?
3. How does this worker help our community?
4. When comparing the old photographs to the recent ones what are some similarities?
5. When comparing the old photographs to the recent ones what are some differences?
6. Would you have liked to be a community worker in the past or in the present? Why?
Handouts for students:
On Your Way to School Scenario
Firefighter Concept Map
Police Officer Concept Map
Internet sites for student use as an extension of their learning:
Here you can choose from eight different neighborhood workers to learn about their jobs
Here you can click on the buildings to learn about the people that work in each one
Here you can pick a community worker of your choice and you can find detailed information about that worker
Places in My Neighborhood
Here you can listen to an audio book about different places to work in a neighborhood
Time to Fight a Fire
Here you can listen to a story about firefighters plus additional activities related to fire safety
You will be assessed based on your journal writing in a notebook and on how well you evaluate the pictures of police officers. Here is a rubric that will show you how your completed police officer concept map will be graded.
Governors State University - Teaching with Primary Sources Partner
Miss Shannon Rodgers
Sunnybrook School District 171
Last Updated on March 6, 2009